There are numerous resources available to students who are currently in or are alumni of the Foster Care system. Below are just some of those resources:
Fostering Success Michigan
Fostering Success Michigan provides resources and inspiration for youth and alumni of foster care. You may visit their website by clicking here.
Foster Youth in Transition
Michigan Youth Opportunities Initiative (MYOI) has opportunities you may view by visiting here.
Foster Care Alumni of America/Michigan-Resources
Please visit this site for additional resources by clicking here.
Fostering Futures Scholarship Application and Information
The Fostering Futures Scholarship (FFS) provides eligible foster youth with scholarship funds for tuition, fees, room/board, books, and supplies/equipment required for enrollment. The FFS is available to students on a first-come, first-served basis. Students must complete one application per academic year and return it to Student Scholarships and Grants, listed at the bottom of the application.
Application Enrollment Period
MI Student Aid - Fostering Futures Scholarship (michigan.gov)
- Student must have been in Michigan foster care due to abuse/neglect on or after their 13th birthday.
- Enroll at least half-time at a parcipating institution.
- Student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrate financial need.
- Be a Michigan resident since July 1 of the previous calendar year.
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or approved refugee.
- For renewal, student must meet institution's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.
- Not be in default on a Federal student loan.
- There is no maximum age restriction for the student.
Questions may be directed to Student Scholarships and Grants at firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll-free at 1-888-447-2687.